12.27.2009

Lemony Chickpea Pasta

This is a super simple dish that comes together very quickly. I like to make it on nights when I work late and don't have much energy, but still want to make something yummy and homemade. I love how the heat of the pasta warms up the chickpeas so they get nice and creamy. If you want to be fussy you can remove the skin from the chickpeas. It just makes the dish a bit more elegant. I usually run a knife through a tablespoon of the capers then leave the rest whole. This would also be great with some artichokes or kalamata olives. If the capers aren't briny-salty enough for you!

Use the best olive oil and parmesan that you can, because you'll really taste it in the sauce. I just bought some Spanish Merula Olive Oil from a local specialty cooking shop. It's very tasty, but not crazy expensive. Plus the tin is super cute.




print recipe

Lemony Chickpea Pasta with Capers

A quick and healthy pasta with loads of bright and satisfying flavor.
Ingredients
6 oz small pasta like Orecchiette or Mini Penne1 can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed1/2 Lemon, juiced and zested3 tablespoons good quality Olive Oil1/4 cup hot pasta water2 tablespoons Capers1 teaspoon Hot Sauce or Red Pepper Flakes1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese, grated, plus extra for serving Salt + Pepper
Instructions
Cook the pasta in salted, boiling water according to manufacturer directions. In a large bowl mix lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, capers, and hot sauce. Add the chickpeas and stir to coat. Drain the pasta, reserving some of the hot water.

Add the pasta to the chickpeas, stir in the cheese, while adding the pasta water as you mix. Season with salt and pepper. Add more lemon juice/hot sauce to your liking. Serve with extra Parmesan Cheese.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 2 servings

9 comments:

  1. This sounds great, I love these "pantry pastas"--you can throw them together anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks like a really comforting bowl of pasta, the flavours are light and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! What does it mean to add the pasta water back in--are you adding it for extra moisture? How much do you pour back in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Megstermeter - I reserve about half a cup or so of pasta water, I just scoop it out with a mug or glass measuring cup. Then as I'm mixing the pasta up with the lemon, chickpeas, parmesan, etc I add the water a little at a time until the pasta gets kind of glossy. This creates a sort of sauce with the cheese and oil and really brings the pasta together. The hot water also warms up the chickpeas so they get an awesome creamy texture. Usually I end up using 3-4 tablespoons total. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I'm a college freshman learning how to cook and this looks like an excellent, easy recipe :D
    I mean, I've made something similar without the chickpeas or capers; but, my oh my do I love capers! I can't wait to throw this together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ohghettochip - Oh yes, caper <3! If you try it, let me know how it turns out! Thanks for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this without the capers and it was soo good! I love chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw this on Tasty Kitchen and had to stop by to tell you how delicious it looks and sounds! Capers & chickpeas are big hits in our house. I can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Kate - I love capers and chickpeas too, let me know how it turns out if you try it :) Thanks so much for for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...