12.20.2009

Roasted Cabbage with Lemon

For years I thought I hated cabbage. I think it was one of those irrational childhood food things, I was kind of a picky eater when I was little. Or at least, I had very specific ideas about what I liked and what I would not eat. There are definitely still ingredients I'm not fond of, mostly cilantro and another staple vegetable that I am too embarrassed to admit. But, luckily, I have overcome my fear of cabbage and now I pretty much love it.



Usually when I have cabbage I stir fry it with some garlic and ramen noodles for a quick dinner. But this recipe is so easy and so yummy that I'm sure I'll make it a lot. And they're so pretty! The leaves get nicely crisp on the outside and so tender inside. I like mine a bit charred around the edges, but you could definitely brown them a little less. The lemon juice is a must, it complements the sweetness of the cabbage perfectly. These would also be delicious with some Asian flavors. Try using sesame oil instead of EVOO and drizzle with soy sauce halfway through cooking.







print recipe
Roasted Cabbage with Lemon
Roasting the cabbage keeps it crisp but brings out its natural sweetness, lemon juice is the perfect dressing for this healthy side dish. Adapted from January 2010 Martha Stewart Living.
Ingredients
1 Cabbage, small to medium size Olive Oil1 Lemon, juiced Salt + Pepper
Instructions
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.

Remove any bruised or dirty outer leaves of the cabbage. Halve the cabbage then slice each half into quarters, making sure to leave the core relatively intact. This will hold the leaves in place while roasting.

Place wedges on a rimmed baking sheet, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Roast for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time, until edges are crisp and a bit brown.

Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve hot.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 servings

13 comments:

  1. I love cabbage-- this looks really good. And super easy which makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of cabbage right now--it's been piling up from our CSA boxes. I think I have green, Napa, and red in the fridge! I have never in my life thought of roasting it--great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for Martha Stewart ;) I probably wouldn't have thought to try it either without her instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I got this Martha issue I couldn't wait to try this out! For some reason it took until lunchtime today to do it. Delicious! My 2nd serving I decided to sprinkle the lemon juice on the plate with a dash of salt and then serve up the cabbage with more lemon. Even better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used your recipe tonight, and I have to say, it's delicious! Except, 450 was too high for me, and the edges charred too quickly. I think it's my oven. I ate mine with a little sriracha sauce. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please DO NOT use aluminum foil with lemon juice. The acid in the citrus will react with the aluminum giving you a high dose of a metal that is not good for you. But thanks for the recipe! I cant wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are headed to the farmers market this morning. Definitely buy cabbage to try this recipe. Look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to serving this tonight with some yummy corned beef! (note: I think you meant to write a prep time of 5 minutes--not hours?) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ack! Thanks anon, you are absolutely right. I hope you enjoy the cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made it tonight with 2 tsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp sesame oil, and 2 tbsp lime juice. I whisked it all together and brushed it on the cabbage wedges. It was awesome and filling! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't keep mine in tact through out the cooking...too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad! I find as long as I slice carefully through the core, making sure not to trim the leaves away that it works very well. It also helps to use a heavy, tight leaved head of cabbage. And to have good tongs!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...