7.23.2010

Fettuccine with Peas and Prosciutto


I made this pasta for the first time over a year ago
with my friend Katy. We were planning her wedding and all of the sudden it was 7 pm and we were starving. I remember we were so indecisive, we spent at least half an hour trying to decide whether to go out to eat or make something at home. Finally we settled on this recipe out of the Everyday Food cookbook, mostly because Katy already had a pound of fettuccine and I had frozen peas.

It's pretty darn tasty. And it only takes around twenty minutes start to finish. Prep the garlic, lemon, prosciutto while your pasta water heats up, then start cooking the garlic when you drop the pasta. Totally easy. The lemon adds a brightness that really makes the dish. Going back through the recipes I've blogged, pretty much all of them feature lemons. When I was little I ate lemons as if they were oranges. So I guess it isn't surprising that so many of my favorite recipes include them.




print recipe

Fettuccine with Peas and Prosciutto
Pasta with a creamy but light and lemony sauce is perfect with sweet peas and salty prosciutto. Adapted from Everyday food.
Ingredients
12 oz Fettucine1 tablespoon Butter3-4 cloves Garlic, minced 3-4 oz Prosciutto, sliced into short, thin ribbons 1/2 cup Heavy Cream10 oz or 1 package frozen Peas1 Lemon, zested and juiced 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated Salt + Pepper
Instructions
Cook pasta to al dente in salted water. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining and returning the noodles to the pot.

While pasta is cooking make the sauce in a large skillet. Melt butter over medium-low heat; add garlic, cook until soft and golden. Stir in prosciutto, peas, and cream. Simmer on medium heat until peas are cooked, 3-4 minutes.

Add lemon zest and juice, thinning the sauce with the reserved pasta water as needed. Pour sauce over pasta, add parmesan and stir to combine. Season with plenty of pepper and salt to taste. Serve immediately.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 servings

4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing!! I've been craving some yummy creamy pasta lately :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are enjoying this dish RIGHT NOW in Houston Texas. I appreciate it!

    Lovely Lemon stands over the creamy goodness. We added some pearl onions to the sauce and it's a FANTASTIC addition.

    Happy eating.
    cook2chef.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amie - Thanks, it's really yummy! And actually pretty good for summer because the lemon cuts through the heaviness of the cream.

    @cook2chef - Fantastic, I'm so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this recipe from TasteSpotting. While at first I thought the sauce would be complicated, I was pleasantly surprised at how simple yet delicious it was. I look forward to experimenting with this sauce. I made it with Penne though because I couldn't find Fettuccine in my cupboard.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...