6.22.2011

Sugar Snap Pea Pickles

Oh man, it looks like I missed my blog-o-versary. Eat, repeat is now a little over three years old! Even more exciting, the blog just hit 100 RSS feed subscribers (now we're at 105!) which is awesome. Thanks so much to all of my readers and an extra special thanks to everyone who has commented on a post.

So! More pickles? I know, but I just can't help it. It's hot out and all I want to eat are cold briney salty crunchy veggies (although I wouldn't say no to some funnel cake from the fair, maybe.) In the last few weeks I've filled and re-filled so many jars of refrigerator pickles. Some better than others, but all pretty darn good. These peas definitely fall in the delicious category.


I'm generally not a fan of sweet pickles, I can't stand most bread and butter varieties. They just taste wrong to me. But these Sugar Snap Pea Pickles are different. The peas are naturally sweet, so the addition of a bit of sugar along with vinegar and spices just highlights fresh, summery flavor.

This recipe is adapted from Smitten Kitchen, I added a few more spices and decreased the sugar a smidge. The most labor intensive part of the recipe is removing the strings from your peas, the rest of it's a breeze. You could definitely try this out with snow peas, I bet they'd be fantastic in salads.





print recipe

Sugar Snap Pea Pickles
Sweet, salty and spicy these crisp Snap Pea Pickles are a refreshing treat on hot summer days. Adapted from Smitten Kitchen.
Ingredients
    1 cup Distilled White Vinegar 1 cup Cold Water 1/2 tablespoon Canning Salt 1/2 tablespoon Turbinado or Raw Sugar 4 Garlic Cloves, sliced 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes 1/4 teaspoon White Peppercorns 1/4 teaspoon Mustard Seeds 1/4 teaspoon Coriander Seeds 12 oz Sugar Snap Peas, strings removed
Instructions
In a non-reactive saucepan, heat the vinegar with sugar and salt until they have dissolved. Remove from heat and pour into the cold water, I like to use a 2 cup measuring cup for this. Allow liquid to cool.

Pack peas, spices and garlic into a pint sized jar. Pour cooled brine over peas, cover, and store in refrigerator until ready to eat. They'll be lightly pickled after a day, but I like them best after three or four days. They'll stay good in your fridge for at least three weeks, if they last that long.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 1 pint

9 comments:

  1. Looks like I'll have a bumper crop of peas, and this post gives me some ideas on what to do with the excess. Never had pickled peas before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we get snap peas in our CSA share next week, I'm so going to make these. Right now, I'm loving them simply raw, but one can only eat so many raw snap peas after a while. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photography is amazing! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Renee - I love peas straight off the vine. The pickling makes them so refreshing, perfect for summer.

    @Meg - They're so good raw too, perfect for stacking! And since these aren't cooked they stay super sweet and crunchy. I'd love to hear how they turn out!

    @Canning Homemade! - Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look just about perfect...and your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've pickled a few things here and there (cucumbers, green beans, beets), but boy....sugar snap peas! You have me really excited. Gorgeous photos! Happy 3 year blogoversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Malcolm - Thanks so much!

    @Kasey - Thank you! The peas are so crisp and flavorful, I'm kind of addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I never thought of pickling peas! This sounds like something kids would like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been making these pickles (and eating them!) pretty much non-stop all summer. I saw them on Smitten Kitchen too. Aren't they the best?! I must say, you did a lovely job photographing them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...